- Bergen, Norway: Quite possibly the rainiest place on Earth…
I don’t know about you but I’ve been feeling such a motivational lull recently. I’m tired all the time and as soon as I get home from uni I just want to eat and sleep. Over all, I’m just not being very productive recently. I think this is all to blame on January, sorry January. We’re midway through the month now and the new year excitement has kind of worn off and I’m left feeling a bit glum. It’s cold, it’s rainy and I haven’t seen the sun in what feels like months now.
So I thought I might as well come up with a list of ways to fight these January blues instead of just continuing to wallow in my misery and here are my tips;
- Embrace it – If it’s gloomy outside and you can bear to go out then embrace it! Grab a blanket and a hot drink, burn a nice candle and work from home all snuggled up, or if you have some free time, stick on a film. Might as well make the most of the day, as grim as it may be.
- Brave it – Put on that raincoat and those wellies and get out in nature anyway! The endorphin’s released from going on that walk, even in the rain, might help you to feel much brighter.
- Visit a friend – It can be lonely being cooped up inside, sometimes some human interaction is just what’s needed. Call a friend and get them over, company can be so therapeutic.
- Find something new to do – Take up a new, indoor hobby in January. Find a new book to read or start writing your own, learn to knit, take up yoga; the possibilities are endless. A new activity can be that spike of inspiration that’s needed to get you through January.
January can be a tough month but just know that you’re not alone, if you’re feeling particularly low check out the Samaritans. They’re a UK based charity that encourage talking to people if you’re feeling down, not bottling those feeling up. There’s no shame in feeling a bit sad, especially in the gloomiest month.
I hope this list has helped spark a few ideas, and that you can find your way to get through the blues and make January happy!